Monday 3 August 2015

Sorrel, Dock and Copper

I hope there aren't too many blog postings for you but there is so much to see at FW at the moment.  
If I don't publish quickly it'll all be out of date!

Taken in Filnore Woods last week

The hot weather has made the Dock flowers as red as their relatives the sorrels.  

Commn Sorrel and Sheep's Sorrel are the preferred foodplant of the caterpillars of the Small Copper butterfly.  Small coppers will also use Broad-leaved Dock, which we have plenty of at Filnore.  It just shows that some unpopular plants, like docks, have hidden benefits.  

Taken in my garden last week

Here is a small copper feeding on an Astrantia flower in my garden.  I shall look more kindly on dock plants from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love getting comments so go ahead.